From September 2014, all schools are expected to publish information about their provision for special educational needs and disabilities (SEND). This includes the 'Local Offer', which helps parents/carers understand what services they and their families can expect from a range of local agencies.

 Link to Birmingham local offer website

Local offer Birmingham

Watch a short video here [ ]

 Frequently Asked Questions

1) What kinds of Special Educational Needs does the school make provision for? What type of provision does the school make and how do they know it works?

Types of need

Examples of support in our school

How we check it is working

Social emotional and mental health difficulties

Small classes

High adult to pupil ratios

Personalised targets for pupils

Experienced staff team

Input from other professionals

Regular assessments of personal targets

Review of EHCP

Personalised targets and planning for individuals

Staff evaluations of training

Many of our pupils have medical diagnoses including ADHD and ASC which impact on their responses and behaviour.

2) How does the School identify and assess Special Educational Needs?

All our pupils have SEND and an Education Health and Care Plan.

You can access our SEND Policy from  [ School Policies]

3) How do the School know how much progress is being made with pupils with Special Educational Needs?

We have robust systems of baseline assessments, recording data, target setting and tracking of progress in place. Targeted intervention is in place for all pupils who we feel are making less than expected progress. Our targets are set in line with national expectations for pupils, taking account of their SEND. Regular parents evenings/review meetings take place and parents are able to arrange meetings at other times to discuss progress.

4) What extra-curricular activities can a pupil with Special Educational Needs access at School?

We run a variety of enrichment activities for our pupils, some of these are held at lunch time, and some after school. Some pupils access our residential provision, for up to 4 nights a week. In addition we also offer a range of off-site and residential activities for pupils during the time they are with us.

5) Does the School have a Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator, if so who are they and how can someone get in touch with them?

As a Special School all staff are aware of the requirements to meet the needs of young people with SEND. Julie Coombs Deputy Headteacher is the named SENCo.

6) What training does the staff in school have in relation to pupils with Special Educational Needs?

Many of our teachers and support staff have a great deal of experience working with children with SEND. For staff who are new to the school we offer staff induction and training including Manual Handling and Behaviour Management. For all our staff we have a schedule of training across the year.

7) How does school get more specialist help for pupils if they need it?

Within school we have access to a team of professionals who can offer specialist advice, these include speech and language therapists, police, family support workers and the school nurse. We work very closely with all the professionals as well as parents and carers  to ensure we offer the best provision. We will also contact other agencies, as appropriate, for example FTB, Social Care and Health, Educational Psychologists and the Communication and Autism Team.

8) How are parents/carers of children and young people with SEND involved in the education of their child?

We meet with parents and carers as often as necessary to ensure that they are happy with the education their children are receiving.

There are a number of opportunities, both formal and informal, for parents/carers to come into school. These range from parents’ evenings, progress days, coffee mornings, Annual Review meetings, special assemblies and fund-raising events. Class teachers contact parents/carers regularly on the phone or via email. We also arrange meetings with parents and carers at any time of the year, at their request.

9) How are pupils with Special Educational Needs involved in their own education?

Wherever possible we will include our pupils in their education by encouraging them to participate in review meetings, whether that is by talking with them outside of the meeting to ascertain their views or by them taking part in the meeting itself.

We also have a student council who meet regularly and have the opportunity to influence decisions.

10) If a parent/carer or a child with SEND has a complaint about the school, how does the Governing body deal with the complaint?

We have a Complaints policy. In the first instance we would encourage parents to contact the Headteacher or other members of the Senior Leadership Team to discuss the complaint.

11) How does the Governing body involve other people in meeting the needs of pupils with special educational needs including support for their families?

There is a strong team of pastoral staff who work closely with pupils and families/carers to ensure that the needs of the pupils are met.

12) Who are the support services that can help parents with pupils who have special educational needs?

Parent Partnership services are available to help parents/carers through the assessment process and can also help facilitate school visits and offer advice. SENAR are the department within the LA who manage the assessment process.

There are several parent support groups in Birmingham who offer support and guidance, a number of these organisations have parents of children with SEND who work with them.

13) How do the school support pupils with SEND through Transition?

The arrangements for transition vary dependent on the developmental stage the pupils are at. On entry to school the transition is planned on an individual basis with the family. This usually includes an informal visit by parents/carers, an observation at the current school placement and a formal visit to school with the pupil. We offer two induction days for September starters. Arrangements for pupils who start at other times of the year are made on an individual basis.

If a pupil is coming to us from a different school, we will always try to visit them in their current setting and if possible attend their final review.

Transition from school – Pupils in Year 9 and their parents/carers have discussions about their future after school and their hopes and aspirations. Many pupils transfer into a variety of College placements. They are given advice and guidance by school staff and Connexions, there are also opportunities to visit a variety of colleges during the last couple of years at Lindsworth.

14) How can parents/carers find the Birmingham Local Authorities Local Offer?

Birmingham’s Local offer can be found on the My Care area on the Birmingham website.